Yesterday at work, I was talking with my manager about her friend's, who happens to be my dad's cousin, love and courage. Marie died four or five years ago from breast cancer leaving a three sons, a daughter, one and one-half grandchildren, a husband, parents, and friends. From what little I remember of Marie and from what my parent's and grandparent's have told me she was a perfect example of sharing the pure love of Christ. Always giving, never expecting in return. My manager Susan suffered with leukemia several years ago and when she was sick, Marie was by her side every step of the way. Susan eventually won her battle with cancer and is doing very well today. When it was Marie's turn to fight, Susan became her constant companion. One day during the course of Marie's illness, Susan decided to give her a gratitude journal where she could write down three things she was grateful for everyday; just three simple sentences of thanks. After struggling for several months, Marie was called home to a Heavenly Father who needed her unmatched love and compassion on the other side. Her husband, mother, and children read the journal that Marie had kept documenting all that she was grateful for. She never missed a day. No matter the pain, sickness, or despair, Marie did not miss one single day of remembering her blessings. It was not always something big because, as Susan recalls, when you're facing a battle with something as terrifying and unknown as cancer every small blessing means so much. Every day means so much!
Marie's gratitude journal has been a great source of comfort and peace for her family and friends, including Susan. Each found something in that journal something meant, I think, especially for them from their beloved mother, daughter, sister, wife, or friend. I'm sure in Marie's journal each was mentioned by name and each small act of kindness was recorded. Even the story of Marie's constant remembrance of her blessings has served to extend the Lord's love. So, as a small tribute to Marie and all those who, during difficult times, never forget from whom their blessings come, today I am grateful for. . .
The couple who gave the last study room to another group.
My jacket.
Spaghetti O's.
3 comments:
That was lovely and so I'd like to continue it.
I'm grateful for...
1. the gospel
2. my family
3. and sweet friends like you
How inspiring, thank you Erin.
*Kids sleeping in
*My church ward
*My husbands faith
Have I told you lately that I heart you? :)
1. Erin's well written and uplifting posts
2. much needed vacations
3. wonderful family and friends (like you)
Post a Comment