It has officially been 1 year, 365 days, or 525,948.766 minutes (I just wanted to know how many minutes are in a year) since Bryce and I were married!! We are no longer considered "newly weds", can't really use the "just married" excuse anymore for not knowing favorite foods, and don't get the "congratulations" response from new acquaintances, but we are still truly, madly, deeply in love! Gees. . I am mushy! :) The past 12 months have honestly been the best of my life. Never have I learned so much about love, sacrifice, kindness, patience, and myself as I have since July 31, 2009. So, instead of a month-by-month review of our every-exciting lives, and at the risk of boring you all to death, here are 12 things I have learned in 12 months of being Mrs. Erin Heuett:
Two days after we were married we set sail on the Carnival Paradise, bound for Catalina Island and Ensenada. Little did we know that a long with a three course meal, dancing waiters, and entertaining conversation the ship's dining room also provides it's guests with food poisoning. Yep, happy honeymoon to use! Needless to say after three days "lounging" in our cabin bathroom, Bryce and I were completely comfortable just being ourselves around each other. Literally.
September 2009: It really doesn't matter how the clothes are folded.
As we lovingly completed our first loads of laundry together, of course while gazing into each others eyes, I realized that the love of my life folds his clothes all WRONG. While I just simply fold my shirts hot dog then hamburger, he folds hamburger then hot dog with enough precision to own Men's Warehouse! Unfortunately this bothered me for the first few loads but then I realized, much to Bryce's relief, that it takes just as much time to fold hot dog then hamburger as it does to fold hamburger then hot dog all while straightening the collar, folding the seams, and tucking the tag :) Now, his shirts are folded his way and my shirts my way because really, it doesn't matter. (This principle also applies to toothpaste tubes, pillow seams, and pant hangers.)
October 2009: Good things happen to those who pray.
After cruising through three and a half months of marriage we found out that I would be losing my job. This was devastating news brought on by extenuating circumstances and of course I was crushed. I inherently thought that our lives were over. Where would we live? How would we pay for school? Would I find a new job? Amid all the questions and worry, there was prayer. Bryce and I calmly knelt before our Heavenly Father and offered a sincere prayer for guidance and help. And as He promises, we were blessed. Not a week after losing my job, I was offered a fantastic position in Cedar, Bryce was enrolled in Spring classes at SUU, and we were making plans to move South. Both of us were overjoyed with the prospect of going back to Cedar. Looking back, I am almost positive that losing my job was just our Father's way of moving us along our path.
The only catch to starting our new life in Cedar was that I would start my job in November while Bryce would not finish school, in Orem, until December. So, we separated after only four months of marriage. It was like being engaged all over again. We would talk every night and meet each other every weekend. He lived with my parents and I lived with his. It was six long weeks apart but living for the weekends was as fun as ever! Being apart made us appreciate being together and we are still benefiting for that strange, awkward month and a half. We always look for time to just be together - no distractions, no entertainment, no homework :). Our six weeks apart taught us to be together, not to mention it helped us both appreciate the "in-laws" :)
Merry Christmas to me! When Bryce and I started dating, I was attending an Institute class on provident living. During one lesson, my instructor pulled out an old book of parables that has long been out of print. He read us a few of the stories and I fell in love the little pocket book of wisdom. I told Bryce how wonderful the book was and how profound the parables were but that it was hopeless because the book cost a fortune and there were very few copies left. Then, almost a year later, I unwrapped the BEST Christmas gift ever: my own copy of The Parables of James E. Talmage. Bryce had remembered! The gift of that tiny, forgotten book was more than just a good present, it was an expression of true love.
January 2010: Always learn and grow.
When we decided to return to Cedar, I decided to tentatively investigate going back to school to earn my Masters degree. Before I had even completed my application, I was invited to return to the Communication department as a student and eventually a teaching assistant. Needless to say, I am so happy following my dream, even if the added responsibility is time-consuming and I often wonder what I've gotten myself into. Bryce has been thoroughly supportive of my ambition and I once again feel like I am learning, growing, and pushing myself to succeed.
February 2010: Sometimes it's easier just to replace the toilet paper myself.
Sometimes Bryce doesn't change the toilet paper. I have tried to calmly explain that it's as easy as snap, dump, replace, snap but. . . . sometimes it's easier to just suck it up and replace that little brown tube with soft cuddly paper myself. You can't always win the battle.
March 2010: What's the point in remembering.
Just forget the bad and remember the good. It makes the arguments shorter, the lovin' better, and the memories sweeter. There is really no point in holding a grudge or remembering every time he forgets to change the toilet paper roll!
April 2010: It's ok that he cooks.
Who am I kidding? This is one of the miracles of life. My husband cooks. And it's delicious. I have never exactly been accused of being Betty Crocker. In fact, I would never even be accused of being Pillsbury's second cousin, twice removed, but Bryce, is a culinary genius. Yeah, I'm a little jealous and feel a bad when my recipes don't exactly turn out, ever. But, I love that he loves to good and I should let him. Stir that batter babe!
One thing I have learned from Bryce is to seize the day, live in the moment and make the memory. Life is too short to always be worrying about money and work and getting straight A's. So, stay up late, eat an entire box of Twinkies and hey, go to Boston on a whim every once and awhile.
June 2010: Leave a note.
"Babe, I hope you are having a great day! I miss you. See you @ 4:00. Love, Me." Now, how does finding that little note at lunch not bring a smile to your face? Bryce writes lots of notes. I am now a note writer. Sincerely, Me. "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you.
If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme. When you wish upon a star as dreamers do.
Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you thru. When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true".
Jiminey was right. A long time ago I wished upon on a star for a handsome prince to sweep me off my feet, and guess what? My dream came true!! Here's to 12 wonderful months of marriage, 12 lessons learned, and an eternity of love to go!
5 comments:
Love this post! Happy one year anniversary! I can't believe it's been a year, but we're coming up on 9 months, so I guess it's true! Can't wait to see you in two days!!!
Wait... You're NOT Betty Crocker?!? ;-) You guys are adorable. Happy Eternity!
Loves.
Such a fun post! I was reading Pres. Utchedorf's recent talk Happily Ever After and this blog totally reminds me of it!! We can have our happily ever after and you are living it! Yay!
So cute Erin, reading your post made me tear up, cause I tend to be really emotional lately, congrats on your one year mark and may all the rest of eternity be even better.
So cute Erin! Love it!
Post a Comment